Dr. Pytal’s area of expertise is public safety psychology. She earned a Diplomate in Police Psychology awarded by the Society for Police and Criminal Psychology. Prior to opening her practice in Northern New Jersey, she provided psychological services to the men and women of the Washington, DC Metropolitan Police Department.
As a former law enforcement officer, she knows that the needs of first responders are unique. She is familiar with the organizational dynamics in law enforcement agencies as well as the police culture. She understands the unique stressors and working conditions law enforcement officers face on a daily basis. Shift work, longer hours, and the hazards of public safety also have disruptive effects on families.
She has presented at the 2018 Society for Police and Criminal Psychology 44th Annual Conference in Sarasota, Florida, at the 2018 Concerns of Police Survivors’ Adult Children’s Retreat, Potosi, Missouri, at the 2018 Concerns of Police Survivors National Survivors’ Conference at Police Week in Alexandria, Virginia, at the 2017 Symposium hosted by PEEL Institute at the Bergen County, New Jersey Sheriff’s Office, and at the 2016 Concerns of Police Survivors National Conference on Law Enforcement Wellness and Trauma in Grapevine, Texas. Additionally, she teaches a class on mental health for the Essex County New Jersey Crisis Intervention Training.
The M.I.L.E.S. Program (Military in Law Enforcement Service Program)
They have gone miles to serve and protect, now it is our turn to help them. Please inquiry about M.I.L.E.S. group.
Please call 973-454-5569 for additional information.
- I Love A Cop by Ellen Kirschman
- Emotional Survival of Law Enforcement by Kevin Gilmartin
- The Art of War by Sun Tzu
- Verbal Judo by George J. Thompson, PhD. and Jerry B. Jenkins
- Operation Longevity: A Mindful Approach to Wellness and Resilience for Law Enforcement Professionals in the 21st Century by Peter Killeen and Susan Shapiro
- Bulletproof Spirit: The First Responder’s Essential Resource for Protecting and Healing Mind and Heart by Dan Willis
- Law Enforcement Families: The Ultimate Backup by James T. Reese
- Performance Thinking: Mental Skills for the Competitive World….and for Life! by Jacques Dallaire
- Raising Through the Ranks: Leadership Tools and Techniques for Law Enforcement by Michael Wynn
- The Gift of Fear: And Other Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence by Gavin de Becker
- The Rite of Return by Karen Lansing
- On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and Peace 2nd Edition by Dave Grossman
- Increasing Resilience in Police and Emergency Personnel: Strengthening Your Mental Armor 1st Edition by Stephanie Conn